Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pants off! Dance Off!

Being a writer can be a lonely profession. We spend a lot of time by ourselves, and in my case, the writers I talk to all live in other states. So last weekend, I decided it was time to visit! I called Tracy Montoya on Monday (she lives in Florida), got a ticket and flew down on Thursday (yet another spur of the moment trip--the best kind!).

Things I love about visiting my friends:
1) No expectations on either side. I am low-maintenance. I do not need to be taken places. Don’t need to go to Disney world. Or the Mall. I like to hang out, chat and just catch up. My friends get that and it seems to work for all involved.

2) Meeting the family. Parts of being a friend is knowing what's important in their life and letting it be important to you as well. In Tracy's case, she has a husband (sometimes referred to as a Cuban God) and two really adorable kids. I liked them all and it's fun to watch Tracy when she wears the "Mom" hat.

3) Being with someone who get's my job. If you're not a writer or artist of some sort, you might get parts but you just don't get the 'crazy' that goes on in my head. My writer friends get it.

4) Same weird sense of humor. Case in point. Tracy and I were up late and scrolling through Tivo. And what do we see? A show called "Pants Off. Dance Off". We have to watch it! To sum it up--it's average people in a stripping competition. Big. Little. Fit. Husky. Men. Women. All shapes and sizes of people. And when we tuned it the dancers were in costume! The weirdest was the clown. I think clowns are scary anyway. Factor in the stripping and it was like watching a garish, painted train wreck. Still, we watched, laughed our asses off and then watched another hour of this show.

Can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Cathy in AK said...

Some how I can't help thinking the idea for that show came up during some serious drinking at a frat house.

Ahem! Speaking of visiting your writer friends.... Oh, I know it's much easier to hop on a plane to Florida than to Alaska. We're not exactly in "spur of the moment" country here : ) But you're always welcome to come sit around and do nothing at my house. Tracy and Amy and Jody can come too!

Tracy Montoya said...

WHOO!!! Party in Alaska!

(That would be seriously fun.)

And oh, dear, God, I can't believe Sharron and I wasted two and a half hours of our lives watching Pants Off/Dance Off. It was HILARIOUS. The clown was the worst--most of the time, I left the Tivo guide up so it blocked out her hideous striped underwear. My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Who in the world gave the green light to this show?!