Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Yagul--Naked table dance or lunch...you decide


Yagul-View the Slide Show



Yagul. A lovely archaeological site just outside of Tlacolula, the name means ‘Old Stick’ pr ‘Old Tree’ and is one of the nicer sites to visit in that 1) it is a large site with palaces, temples, and if you want to hike upwards—very impressive fortifications and 2) for some reason, no one knows about it so you can have the place all to yourself.

Of course I had to go! I hopped a bus about 8:30 am and had them drop me off (no busses go there). From the drop off, it’s a 2 Km hike—not to bad. On the way in, two men (quite the young hotties and very buff from working on the farm) shouted at me, saying God-knows-what, but I ignored them. After all, I was on a mission and Yagul was waiting.

The site did NOT disappoint. When I arrived at Yagul, I had the entire place to myself! I mean there was NO ONE. Just three people who take money and this dog that ran all over the tops of the walls, hopping from one to another. I have to say, I was impressed with its four-legged dexterity.

So, I wondered around and since there was nothing that said “Don’t go here” I climbed down into the tombs. Sadly and expectedly, they were empty. Still, I had to stick my head inside.

Have you ever been inside a tomb? It’s damp and cool and smells like musty earth.
I love it. So I felt compelled to crawl inside the principle tomb at Patio 4. No, I didn't break any laws...it's set up that way as long as you don't mid getting dirty. Yes, I did lay there to see what it felt like and no, I did not visualize myself as dead. (Get those creepy thoughts out of your head!)

Finally, I walked up to the fortress to see the odd, carved bathtub. Who knows what it really is, but that’s sure what it looked like. And below it is nothing but cliffs. Good luck to the invaders that tried to scale that!

By this time, people were arriving (bastards!!), so I planted myself on a rock and spent about an hour or so, just enjoying the view of the site and wondering if once, when the site was occupied, was there a girl sitting in the same spot, watching the people below.

Finally, I hoofed it back to the highway and passed the same two hotties. Only this time, they invited me to lunch! I think. They were eating...motioning me to come over...and I said no. I wanted to, but I don’t know these men. And for all I know, they weren’t asking me to have lunch, they were asking me to dance naked on the table.

You decide...

No comments: