Friday, August 18, 2006

Two..Two...Two Sites in One!


Cacaxtla Pictures


Xochitecatl Pictures

Two sites, Cacaxtla and Xochitécatl, reside outside the little two of Tlaxcala and are almost on top of each other. And according to the people at the sites, even had an alliance at one point. Nor surprising when you can almost throw a rock and hit either one or the other.

We went to Cacaxtla first. Now abandoned (like most sites in Mexico) Cacaxtla reached it max splendor (700-900 AD) following the decline of Teotihuacán at the same time as other sites such as Vera Cruz, consolidated their power.

In it’s last phase, Cacaxtla was inhabited by the Olmeca-Xicalancas. Not sure who the Xocalancas were but the Olmecs were the ones that carved the GINORMOUS stone heads.

No giant stone heads here but there are murals in Cacaxtla. And they are just as impressive anything carved from stone. Distinctive for blending Teotihuacan and Maya Elements, the murals are wonderfully preserved site due to the fact they built a ginormous metal roof over the entire thing. So hey, there is something here of monolithic proportions!

It’s also a heck of a climb to get to the murals. I went with my father, uncle and Tony and we trundled around the site. It's impressive in an of itself what with the columns, rooms, etc. But the murals steal the show and I could have spent hours sitting there staring at them, but alas, when you travel with others they generally do NOT appreciate you sitting there while they waitr. sigh


If you ever go, make sure you stop on the way out for lunch. There’s a lovely woman making blue corn quesadilla’s that are too die for. I had pine with pumpkin flowers—YUM.

After lunch, we drove over to Xochitécatl. More traditional in that there are pyramids, etc. I climbed up them since that’s what I do!. What a wonderful view. I can see why these people (either Cacaxtla or Xochitécatl) considered themselves rulers of the area. It would be hard not too when you can see the entire valley at your feet. I know I was feeling fairly powerful standing up there.

There's also an intriguing spiral pyramid which they think was used for astronomical observation. Someone stuck a big cross on it. Frankly, I think that's a rude, but I guess I should be glad it wasn't a whole freaking church.

I should be queen. If I were, no one would stick crosses or churches on archaeological sites. I would make a good Queen. Benevolent. But tough.

Probably very little human sacrifice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PROBABLY very little human sacrifice?!??
Fantastic pics. I wanna go!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your photography....and your blog. Finally got around to looking at it!! Mom