Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sawa Beach

I might be a “fire sign” (Sagittarius) but I love love love the water. Yesterday, we hiked up Mt Sinai, and today the payoff is this—Sawa Beach. Tucked on the Egyptian Coast, it’s a little piece of paradise with bamboo huts. And it’s what every little beach resort should be. Small. Cool in the shade. Hot in the sun. Lounge chairs. Strategically placed cushions so everyone has a place to spread out. The only thing missing are the Mojitoes (they don’t serve alcohol).

We arrived yesterday afternoon and the weather was perfect. We unloaded bags, jumped into our swimmers, grabbed snorkel gear and headed out to the reef.

On a side note--I can’t say that I find the water peaceful. I find sitting on the beach listening to the water peaceful, but not the water itself. Frankly when I snorkel I always feel a bit like bait splashing around, waiting for a predator to some and take sample from my leg.

Despite that, I snorkel anyway. I never want fear to keep me from doing something fun, and hey, snorkeling is a hoot! So we headed out to a reef that’s about 200 meters from shore. A bit of a trek, but so worth it! Tons of fish and a variety of coral, it isn’t too be missed I’d try to describe it but this is one time that pictures can definitely say more than words.

No comments: